Sunday, May 16, 2010

Exploring Education Options

Here we go... I am a mother of 3 young boys. They are almost 2, 4, and almost 7 all sweet, and full of energy. Before I had children I didn't think much about education options, just didn't think about it at all. I suppose at the time, I just figured that if I ever had kids I would just send them to the local public school. Then we had children and once our oldest became of preschool age we started to discuss options.

There was headstart, local private, secular preschools, and Christian preschools. The at home option was also there. We did go with the latter, decided to test homeschooling out while he was a preschooler. We purchased workbooks and some manipulatives. I worked with him and he was very receptive. We would do lessons while the baby was sleeping. This went smoothly for a few months then I became pregnant with our third child and I was completely sick and wore out. It was at this point that we looked into a local Christian preschool. We signed him up for Tues./Thurs. 8:30-2:30. This was a great help while I was sick and taking care of our middle child. So as far as homeschooling went, I just didn't see how it would be possible with 2 little ones to take care of too.

However, here we are just a few years later. My oldest will be 7 in August and entering the 1st Grade and my middle child has the option of continuing Preschool. That being said, the tuition for the both of them at the same school is around $700.00. If I kept the oldest one in his private school it would be about $1000.00/month. Which is about what I make in a typical month. Hmmm...

Did I mention that my dream job, besides being a movie star, was to be a teacher, an elementary school teacher. Recently, I met with like minded women, 2 of which are already doing homeschool and are quite successful. I found the information they provided to be very helpful and I got very excited about the idea of teaching my kids! I am diving into curriculum options, online options, co-op's, parent groups, etc. Follow me and I will fill you in on what I learn. It is a whole new world to me but I am way excited about how much information and help there is out there. I will be attending the Colorado Homeschool Convention in June, featured speaker is Voddie Baucham.

This Week I am looking into:
Sonlight Curriculum
Alpha Omega products
Classical Conversations
Homeschool Blogs
Reviews, reviews, reviews

Come back for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment